Our Top Tips
Top tips for windscreen care this Winter
Here are a few of our hot tips for windscreen care to get your vehicle Winter ready.
1. Make sure you regularly check your windscreen for chips, cracks or scratches.
Driving conditions are often more dangerous during the Winter months due to rain, ice and snow. The combination of cold temperatures and warm vehicle heaters can create stress to your windscreen, which may lead to chips cracking. It is recommended that windscreens are repaired as quickly as possible to avoid the cost of replacing your windscreen.
2. Never pour boiling water on a frozen windscreen.
Many of us face the race against time to get to work in the morning. The added inconvenience of an icy windscreen is a nuisance we could do without. Do not be tempted to speed up the process of defrosting your windscreen by pouring boiling water on it. Even any minor chips, cracks or scratches will cause the windscreen to break.
3. Be careful of pot holes in the road.
We are all too aware that the ever increasing number of pot holes in our road are a safety hazard and can cause damage to our vehicles. Snow and ice significantly increase the number and size of pot holes. Driving over a pot hole can also add stress to your windscreen, which may cause chips or scratches to crack.
Did you know?
A windscreen provides unto 30% of your vehicles structural strength. It is also crucial for airbag deployment.
Top tips for summer
Avoid chips on your windscreen spreading this summer by following our top tips.
- Get chips repaired straight away – The heat and bumps in the road can cause the chip to spread.
- Park in the shade – As temperatures rise, the heat of the sun can cause chips to spread. Where possible, park in the shade until the chip is repaired.
- Don’t slam car doors – Chips on your windscreen can spread due to sudden pressure changes which can occur when car doors are slammed.
It can be up to 70% cheaper to repair rather than replace a windscreen and repairs are usually free if you have fully comprehensive motor insurance.
So don’t delay this summer, arrange to visit our depot for a free windscreen MOT inspection.